Vegetarian Yaki Udon
My son loves udon - he loves it swimming in savoury hot broth, and he loves it when I do a quick stir-fry with fresh crunchy vegetables (pictured above). Needless to say, udon noodles is something I must always have in the freezer for 'emergency' - eg no IDEA what to cook, no other INGREDIENTS to work with, no MOOD to cook something more complicated (a.k.a. lazy days). I too love this Yaki udon dish, and when I do cook it, there usually isn't any leftovers. I'm sure you'll love it too!
This recipe is for a vegetarian version of Yaki udon, however if you prefer to add meat to it, thinly-sliced beef will be perfect with a Japanese beef marinate sauce instead of the oyster sauce in the vegetarian recipe. This dish is so quick and fuss-free you will be slurping up those strands of udon noodles in less than 20 minutes!
Vegetarian Yaki Udon
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
· 2 x 300g serving of Udon
· 3 cloves of Garlic
· 1/2 red Pepper
· 1/2 head of small-sized Cabbage
· 1/4 cup of Oyster sauce (you can use a vegetarian version)
· 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Water
· 1 tablespoon of Sugar
1. Let's begin with preparing the vegetables: cut the red pepper into thin
slices and roughly chopping up the cabbage.
2. Mince the garlic as well.
3. In a large wok or skillet, heat up 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and when it is
hot enough, add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
4. Next, throw in the red pepper slices and give it a quick stir before adding
the cabbage. Stir the vegetables around in the wok/skillet for a bit, then
pour in half of the required amount of water.
5. Let the water come to a boil, and lower the fire to allow it to simmer. At this
point, it's time to add the udon. Pour more water, just enough to cover the
udon and let the udon boil in it.
6. Have the udon cook in the wok/skillet for a minute or two, then add in the
oyster sauce and sugar. Stir to combine the seasoning with the liquid in the
7. Have a taste of the udon, and if you feel that it is soft enough, turn the fire
off and prepare to serve!