20-minutes Sambal Eggplant
If, like me, you have a large jar of Sambal Belacan sitting in the fridge, here is the perfect recipe to use it for - Sambal Eggplant, ready in less than 20 minutes and pairs wonderfully with simple fried rice, Kimchi Rice or just fragrant white rice. Whichever type of rice you decide to eat this sambal eggplant with, just remember to cook extra of it, because I guarantee you will have more than one bowl.
There are only 3 ingredients in this Sambal Eggplant recipe - dried shrimp, eggplants and sambal belacan. Finely minced, the dried shrimp adds texture to the dish, and the eggplants absorb the spicy fragrant sauce that just oozes into your mouth when bitten into. It is gloooooorious! Do take note to eat it hot off the wok/skillet because that is when it is yummiest, for some reason.
With regards to the cooking process, we will leave the sambal belacan last to add into the wok as it is already cooked and only needs to be tossed around to coat the dried shrimps and eggplants. In total, from the fridge to the plate hot to serve, it takes about 20 minutes. Go get cooking now!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins
- 2 medium Eggplants
- 1/4 cup Dried Shrimps
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Sambal Belacan (recipe here)
- 1/4 cup of Water
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- Start by soaking the dried shrimps in warm water and set it aside.
- In the meantime, slice the eggplants up into 1/2-inch parts and set aside.
- Drain the water off the dried shrimps and start chopping them up as finely as you can.
- Now heat up a wok or large skillet with 2 tablespoons of any type of vegetable oil (I used Canola) and when the oil is hot enough (watch out for the mini bubbles!), gently add the dried shrimp and move it around the wok until its fragrance is released (about 30 seconds).
- Turn the fire down to medium. Throw in the eggplants and stir it around, mixing it with the dried shrimps, for 2-3 minutes.
- For the final step in this recipe, spoon in the Sambal Belacan and the water, and combine ALL the ingredients together, thoroughly coating the eggplants with the Sambal Belacan.
- Turn off the fire and serve immediately!